Last year was a busy year with custom quilt orders. I had one custom order for a tree quilt design,
quite large. I was working from a photo of a quilt I made previously and the customer wanted the design enlarged. I’ve made dozens of such orders of different designs but this time around, I missed the mark. I could tell when I finished piecing it, I had not captured the various green colors nor the shape of the mountains. Now I had a 27″ x 48″ art quilt I did not like! What to do? I decided to cut it into smaller quilts. There were two sections of trees on either side of the quilt and an area in the middle of mountains, lake and sky. I made two similarly sized tree quilts from the two sides. With the central part of lake, mountain, and sky, I decided to make a fractured quilt…cutting the quilt into vertical strips and shifting them around to create a very abstract impression of a landscape. With each of two new tree quilts, I added some more trees and decided to keep them the same sizes so they could be companion quilts if a customer wanted two to hang together.
And, of course I made a new custom quilt in a design I was happy with, correcting my design errors the second time around! All three finished quilts are shown here. An example of snatching success from an almost defeat.